ACTION NEEDED NOW PLEASE!!
The Wall Street Journal reported that the Senate is expected to vote on a health care overhaul as early as Tuesday, but it’s unclear what proposal to replace the Affordable Care Act it will be voting on and the Associated Press outlined the reasons why Senate Republicans’ efforts to pass a health bill might succeed or fail
The latest information is that:
- There will be a Senate vote tomorrow/ Tuesday on proceeding with a health care bill harmful to people with disabilities. They will only need a simple majority of Senators to proceed.
- The Tuesday vote to proceed will EITHER be on the harmful BCRA, which includes per capita caps and severe cuts to Medicaid, OR a repeal of the ACA called the Obama Repeal Reconciliation Act (ORRA) – this is the bill that was passed last year and vetoed by President Obama. Majority Leader McConnell is NOT revealing which bill they will bring for a vote.
- Both the BCRA and ORRA get rid of the requirement of essential health benefits for people with disabilities.
- Both the BCRA and ORRA seek to cut billions of dollars from Medicaid and health care programs that support people with disabilities and our direct support professionals.
Because Senator Schumer and Senator Gillibrand are leading the fight against all of these ACA repeal bills, and if a bill passes the Senate it must then go to the House for consideration, Call your Congress member TODAY!
Continue to tell New York Representatives that this is the wrong approach – These bills are not fixable and they will cause grievous harm to New Yorkers with developmental disabilities.
Your Representatives in Congress need to hear from you NOW!
Call (844) 898-1199 and tell your Representative to vote “NO” on Medicaid Cuts, Medicaid restructuring and ACA repeal!
The phone number provides a short description of what is at stake and asks for your five digit zip code to be connected to your member of Congress. Then, it will tell you:
- To thank your Representative, if they oppose the AHCA/BCRA/Trumpcare or
- To tell your Representative to vote no on the horrible bill, if they support the AHCA/BCRA/Trumpcare.
You will then be connected to your Congress member’s office to speak to an aide.